Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My Bichon Frise had a small abrasion, and now it has a lump

Customer Question

My Bichon Frise had a small abrasion, and now it has a lump around it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pearl she is almost 7
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pearl?
Customer: No she is a very healthy happy dog,I have been putting a spray antibiti on it. Sh ei s not acting any differnt than normal
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Pearl. When did she get this small abraision? Do you know how she got it? When did the swelling around it start?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She got it on Sunday, I am not sure how she got it she came in from playing in the yard with it. the swelling started around it the same evening.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. This swelling is definitely a concern, and is certainly an indication of skin inflammation, but the worry is is could also be skin infection around the small abrasion. You are going to have to keep a very close eye on the area, and if the swelling increases or spreads, you will need to get Pearl seen tomorrow to have your local vet assess the area and perhaps even take a sample for culture. For now, if Pearl is licking or irritating the area, that will only make matters worse. If she is licking it, you need to get her an elizabethan collar (e-collar) for her today from your local vet clinic or pet store. This will quickly stop her from bothering the area! So long as it isn't an open wound, you can also try bathing it 2 - 3 times per day with some warm salty water (just mix a teaspoon of salt per cup of luke-warm water and use that on a soft cotton wool to gently dab the area. You could then apply a little neosporin each time.

If this was an allergic reaction, then you could try a little Benadryl. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl .

As above, if the area increases in size, or becomes more pronounced, you need to get Pearl seen in the morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 16 days ago.

I will be online for another 10 - 15 minutes. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

How is Pearl's abrasion and swelling looking now? Has it improved at all with the benadryl?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E