Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has started throwing up a few hours after eating? No

Customer Question

My dog has started throwing up a few hours after eating?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No Normal dry food with leftovers, there is no smell to it and does have white stuff in it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 2 & 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 1/2?
Customer: no he seen to be his normal happy go lab, a bit on the thin side as nothing seem to put wait on him
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry that no one has assisted you both today. Typically the vomiting after several hours of a meal is due to delayed gastric emptying. There are two recommendations to start:

- About 30 minutes after eating please take a 15+ minute walk which encourages stomach emptying and gi motility
- Feed smaller more frequent meals for a while to reduce the bigger fuller stomach which can reduce motility as well
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/kg about 15 minutes before meals to reduce stomach acid response which can result in delayed

I will monitor for your entry to the chat but often this can help. In some situations motility drugs are needed to control these symptoms but also an exam to ensure there is nothing more serious causing the delayed vomiting

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!