Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think my dog may have eaten a little bit of marijuana. He

Customer Question

Hello ? I think my dog may have eaten a little bit of marijuana. He is able to walk but he is wobbly and seems zoned out. Please help what should I do? Also could this have been caused by chocolate?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if may will be able to digest that. How old is may?
Customer: 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about may?
Customer: No he's perfectly healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. This sounds more like marijuana than chocolate; with chocolate you would see vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, or seizures if enough was eaten. With marijuana, you see ataxia (wobbly walking), sedation, sometimes urine dribbling.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His wobbling is not too bad but it is defintley there and he just stares off into space, he wouldn't let me walk him which is normally his favorite thing to do. What should I do??
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

If it is marijuana, all you can do is wait it out. There is no antidote or treatment. If the dog is so "zoned out" that they are nearly unconscious, we put them on IV fluids to keep them hydrated until the effects wear off.

Depending on how much he got, it may take most of the day or even tomorrow until he is back to normal. If his gums appear a normal pink color, if he will take some food and water, then just keep him quiet and monitor him.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If he did get some it would've only been a little bit. When he tries to sit with his head up is when he is wobbly, he seems okay when he lays down. If he won't eat or drink do I have to rush him in to the vet ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

If his gums are pink and he is conscious, I don't think you have to rush to the vet. Keep water available; he will probably drink when he is thirsty. If he seems to be getting worse, then taking him to the vet might be a good idea. If this is the worst of it, he should start looking better in a few hours. Marijuana can really affect dogs, but they survive.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I don't think this is chocolate, it sound like marijuana, but it is possible it is something else so if he seems to be getting worse, or if his gums look pale, then take him to your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is still giving me kisses when I ask and he seems to be feeling a little better he is a lot less shakey but I am still very worried about him. I'll try to look at his gums.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

He knows you and is responding to you; those are good signs. If his gums look pink not pale that is also good. But if you are worried, then have him checked out at your vet.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is he doing? I have not heard back from you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if this was helpful, and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you saw my responses. How is he doing?