Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog broke into (literally thru a closed door and locked

Customer Question

Hi. My dog broke into (literally thru a closed door and locked container) a bag of dog food yesterday. He gorged. He did this once before and was ok. This time, though, he is still in distress after eating the food at 11:30am yesterday. It has been 18 hours since he gorged and his stomach is still distended and he is very uncomfortable--although he is sleeping right now. We limited his water yesterday to 1 cup per hour (advice from another vet) to make sure not to swell the food too much. He does NOT have torsion, his gums are pink, he is not trying to vomit. He pooped many times during the night--solid poop that is now diarrhea. Since he is still in distress, should I take him to our vet now that it is morning, or do we just ride out this discomfort since he has survived for 18 hours? We live very remotely and the journey will be difficult on him; so, I don't want to take him if there isn't much the vet can do after 18 hours. However, I will take him immediately if necessary. Thank you so much.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If he is painful 18hours on, it would be ideal to have him seen at this stage. A torsion is always a concern but less so if he hasn't those signs and can take/keep water down. Though even if he can, gas bloat without the twist could still be an issue here. So, while you could try giving a few millilitres of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, Lactulose, food grade mineral oil) to try to reduce any gas build up and push as much lingering dog food out of the gut; we'd want to tread with care. If he doesn't respond to that or you cannot obtain those to use here, then we'd want him seen. If he just has a gas bloat, they can decompress this for him and enemas could be used to just clear out any further food distending him to get this all clear. And of course, dog safe pain relief can be used too to keep him comfortable after this quite painful situation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Caine. How is everything going?

Dr. B.