Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog is not eating and when she drinks water she throws it

Customer Question

my dog is not eating and when she drinks water she throws it up she is having trouble walking and breathing she is 8 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: nope there is none
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: flicka
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about flicka?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Flicka who has been vomiting and having trouble walking and breathing! I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Flicka's combination of symptoms are a real concern here. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Flicka this evening to cause this vomiting combined with difficulty walking and breathing, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Flicka, and if these symptoms continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. Likewise, if she seems to be in pain now, or distressed at all, then you are best to get her seen straight away.

For now, make sure Flicka has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As she is likely quite nauseous, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Flicak, and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

How were Flicka's parameters? Let me know if you need any further assistance?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Flicka overnight? Did her symptoms settle, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E