Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog was attacked by a hawk and suffered a broken jaw,

Customer Question

My dog was attacked by a hawk and suffered a broken jaw, damage to one of her eyes and several puncture wounds. My vet treated her for shock and gave her pain and antibiotic injections for 3 days and she seemed to be doing better. She gave me carprofem
And Clavamox yesterday and she seemed fine last night but has been sleeping all day today and is still sleeping and hard to wake up. Could she be allergic to one of these meds?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. An allergic reaction to either of those medications would not manifest that way. If you are not able to wake her up, then she may have a low blood sugar or less likely swelling in her brain from the head trauma. I would rub some syrup on her gums and get her to a local emergency clinic asap. Can she stand up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I picked her up and she woke up so I set her on the floor. She immediately got back on the couch and back to sleep. She seemed to be squinting her eyes.

Okay, so at least she is able to walk. Has she eaten today? When was her last pain medication?

Also, is she on any eye medications?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is on soft food so she ate half a container of little Cesar's this morning with half a pain pill and one antibiotic before I went to work. I got home at 5:30 and gave her the other half with another antibiotic pill but had to coax her to eat...but she did. She just seems druggy and won't open her eyes. She wasn't like this and hasn't been since I brought her home Saturday.

If she is that uncomfortable, then I would take her into an emergency clinic tonight if possible. Do you know of one in your area, or can I help you find one? You said that one of her eyes was injured, but she is not on eye meds. Is she holding both eyes closed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they were concerned she would lose her eye that was injured but said yesterday that she may regain her vision. She has like a blood clot in it . But if I get her to open them at all she squints and immediately closes them both.

That sounds like a pain response (massive headache) or sensitivity to light due to inflammation in her eyes. Did she have any evidence of major head trauma (swelling in her brain or shock) when this first happened? How many days post injury is she? If you brought her home on Saturday and she was not acting this abnormal, then I really suggest you get her seen as soon as possible. If you don't want to take her to emergency tonight, then she needs to go in first thing in the morning to your local veterinarian.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her head was swollen initially and her eye was bulging in the beginning but swelling subsided and eye looks better. She seemed fine considering what she has been thru until today. My husband said she has done nothing but sleep and he's checked on her all day today concerned because she never got out of bed . She and my other chihuahua both sleep with us.

The sudden change in her mentation makes me concerned about cerebral edema (swelling in the brain). It is not uncommon up to 72 hours post head trauma, especially since her head was swollen. I would get her looked at as soon as possible.

Do you need help finding a local emergency clinic?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pebbles. How is everything going?
***** *****
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is much better. I took her to the vet and she had an abrasion on her eye and that was why she was squinting. She gave me some ointment for them and she is much better now. She's almost back to her old self.