Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been having some diarrhea over the last few days

Customer Question

Hi! My dog has been having some diarrhea over the last few days and I told my husband to add a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to his food. He only heard the part about canned pumpkin and gave him the entire can. Is this safe? My dog is 85lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rocky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: nope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

April, I am sorry for the delay in response, I had some technical issues at this end. In response to your question, too much pumpkin can actually cause diarrhea. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If at any point he becomes lethargic, vomiting, abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi April,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter