Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 70 pound dog ingested 500mg of naproxen. Right afterwards

Customer Question

My 70 pound dog ingested 500mg of naproxen. Right afterwards I gave her hydrogen peroxide to induce vommiting. She vomited twice but I can't see the pill
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Riley. 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She's on the way to the emergency vet already I just want to know what they are going to do and if she's going to be okay

Naproxen is one of the most toxic nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) to dogs. Just 2.5 mg/lb can cause gastrointestinal ulcers and 7.5 mg/lb can cause renal failure. 500 mg/70 lbs = 7.1 mg/lb which approaches the level that can cause renal failure. If you didn't see the pills they were likely to have already dissolved but hopefully still vomited up. I suspect that activated charcoal will be administered in an attempt to adsorb however much remained in Riley's GI tract and then Riley's kidneys will be monitored by BUN and creatinine testing at 12 hour intervals.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She ingested it with her whole dinner and a treat. The she vomited it all back up about 30 min later. Do you think that helps her situation? I'm freaking out

There's a good chance that her vomiting that soon after ingestion will be protective. I understand your concern. Let's see how she's addressed at the ER. Please return to our conversation with an update and I'll help you through this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I'll be in touch soon.

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They are giving her charcoal and IV fluids there. They want to keep her for 3 days or have us take her home and bring her to her normal vet daily for IV fluids. To keep her is $3k. We really don't have the money but want to do what's best. What's your opinion
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We just want to do what's best for her

I'd continue IV fluids there until the morning when you can pick her up and have her own vet check her kidneys. The best scenario would be that they weren't harmed and keeping her on IV fluids won't be necessary.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Does this cost me more and more money?

There's no additional cost to you to return to our conversation. For more information concerning your financial obligation to the site, please contact***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

I'm only allowed to tell you that I receive a portion of your deposit when you rate positively.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my fiancé decided to admit her for the three days. We will reevaluate tomorrow. If it did effect her kidneys are there options? I am praying that the vommiting and her eating an entire dinner with the pill was helpful

Yes, she would be diuresed - IV fluids administered at a rate to stimulate considerable urine production for 72 hours and her kidneys rechecked at that time. Her prognosis would be predicated upon just how well she responded to therapy as measured by a reduction in the elevation of her BUN and creatinine levels.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why wouldn't they use do that first?

Why wouldn't they do what first?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What you described above- diuress?

You posted above that she was given "charcoal and IV fluids there". That's diuresing her.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok. Can I follow up with you after we talk to them tomorrow?

Certainly. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was asking that if what they are doing isn't helping are there other options?

No, we depend upon IV fluids to keep the kidneys open and performing properly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is eating, peeing and still has a little bit of diarrhea. They found some proteins in her urine that they can't be sure it's from this toxic exposure or something different.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have her on medicine to protect her Gatrointestinal tract and are doing a panel to check her liver at 4pm. They want to keep her another night for more monitoring. They said she's acting normal.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is any of this good news or are we still in a wait and see period?

I'm more interested in what her kidneys look like. Do you know what Riley's BUN and creatinine are? Acting normal is certainly good news!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will get the results when I visit her at 5:30

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

It's my pleasure.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I forgot to write down the numbers but they days her levels for kidneys and liver were normal! They kept her last night for monitoring because of the nature of naproxen and will check her again this afternoon. If she's good then we can. Take her home to follow up with her regular vet. They did see a "fair amount" of protien in her uri be which they believe could be from a number of things- nerves, fever, or a differ y underlying issue.

Good to hear! If you can get a copy of her blood work please upload it here. You can scan it into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Excessive proteinuria is consistent with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug toxicosis. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?