Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a senior cocker spaniel, 9 years old, who has

Customer Question

hi, i have a senior cocker spaniel, 9 years old, who has developed yeast in his ears and skin, he has been seen for the last 6 months by a local vet, given a a\bath there 2 times a week, recently went to once a week, took him to goomers the day after his weekly bath and they noted he had another infection. the vet has given him drops, then used a very expensive med that lasted for two weeks..do i need to find another vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the spaniel can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** thank you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chewy?
Customer: no, he is very sedate, but over weight, no other problems, this is just got me puzzled
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I have two ideas.

If he is older, sedate, and heavy then he may be hypo-thyroid. If his thyroid levels are low he would be predisposed to chronic skin issues and infections, weight gain, and lethargy. It is diagnosed with a blood test. Then if the levels are low he could be started on a thyroid replacement hormone.

Another cause of chronic skin infections is allergies. The most likely allergies would be food, flea saliva, and environmental.

A blood test could be done to see what he is allergic to.

He could also be put on a hypo-allergenic diet for an 8 week diet trial.

There are veterinary dermatologists who have multiple years of additional training in dog skin and allergies. Your vet could give you a referral to one which I think would be a good idea at this point.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby