Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

It appears mastitis-she has never had pups, still intake and

Customer Question

It appears mastitis-she has never had pups, still intake and lives in the home. she has arthritic issues as well being a very an active german shepherd. she is still eating but area is warm and hard. very painful it seems-I have started warm compresses and have got some clear fluid out and now seems blood from another area near the site. She is already on Rimadyl for the arthritic hips. I assume I need an antibotic to go along with the warm compresses-any recommendations
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Savannah is 11. Never had pups.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Savannah?
Customer: Normally she is up and playing but obvious she fells badly. She does have the hip and shoulder issues with her age. But she is still going outside and at least participating but not playing. She is in pain.
JA: Is this new behavior?
Customer: yes since Saturday. If she overdoes it when we go out all day on boqat she will rest the next day and up herself again. But this is new behavior and she started licking is actually how I found the swollen warm area
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog Savannah. Can you tell me, have you seen any milk coming from any of her nipples? Is this just one area of the mammary chain that seems enlarged and warm? Do any of the other mammary glands look at all enlarged or abnormal?