Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

German shepherd. Several times I found thin about 4 inches

Customer Question

german shepherd. Several times I found thin brown about 4 inches wiggling looks like worms in water dish
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: dog is 5 years old, we walk a lot
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dog?
Customer: no healthy dog, but lately seems to like eating grass
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 5 year old German Shepherd who had a number of brown worms in her water dish! While these could easily been normal garden worms that have made their way in to the water dish if it is kept outside, or even some that have been carried in, in your girls muzzle hair if she has an indoor bowl, these could also very well be roundworms or hookworms that have come up from her stomach. We even have to consider lung worm here. Whatever the case, the best way forward here is to treat your German Shepherd girl for all intestinal worms and heart/lung worm right away. If you have done this recently, then consider using a different product next time, but if she is due now, you should get a reliable product from your local vet. For intestinal worms, Drontal or Milbemax all-wormers are ideal and would deal to any intestinal worms she currently has. In terms of heart and lung worm, Advantage multi is good, but ask your local vet team for an appropriate product. For both treatments, be sure to get the right size for your German Shepherd's weight.

All the best with your girl, and as above - you are certainly best playing it safe and treating here, and then continue to treat routinely every 3 months, or as per packet instructions for the product or products you use. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Hopefully my message came through ok? Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Did you manage to get your girl treated for intestinal worms yesterday? How is she doing now?

Dr E