Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My pit puppy is 9 weeks and he is having trouble walking on

Customer Question

My pit bull puppy is 9 weeks and he is having trouble walking on his front paws. It's almost like he is walking on his ankles. This has been going on for 3 days. I started giving him a multivitamin and I changed his food to a higher protein food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes He has no wounds and it doesn't seen soar
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Gunny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gunny?
Customer: No he seems pretty healthy other this issue. He is eating and drinking
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds like he may have congenital carpal hyperextension. It is not very common but may result due to some electrolyte abnormalities, especially calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. It cannot be treated by just supplementing these items, though. Your vet needs to get x-rays of the joints to rule out any other injuries or problems, but they will most likely need to get some blood work and splint the front paws. They may need to formulate a new diet for him as well. Due to this not being a very common issue, they may want to refer him to a veterinary orthopedist as well. If this was an acquired disease in an older dog, surgery may be needed. With a puppy, medical management is usually tried first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Gunny is doing and to see if you have further questions.