Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog is 14 yrs old and lately he has been go to the

Customer Question

my dog is 14 yrs old and lately he has been go to the bathroom, on the floor it is runny and he is real skinny and has problem I would like to know if you could tell me about how much longer he will be here I know he is not going to make it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: riz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about riz?
Customer: no that is all i know of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Unfortunately, I am not able to tell you how long Riz will live. However, from what you are describing, he is not doing well. My best advice is to look at his quality of life. Do you feel that he has more good days than bad? Is he eating well? Is he comfortable? If he is eating well and relatively comfortable, then he may just need something to help with the diarrhea. Propectalin is an over the counter medication for diarrhea that really helps. Given his age, it is likely that Riz has an underlying disease. I recommend that you contact your local veterinarian to set up an appointment to discuss hospice (end of life) care, to make Riz as comfortable as possible until it is time to help him pass. After performing a physical exam, your veterinarian may also be able to give you a time frame. End of life decisions are difficult. Please ask any follow up questions. Take care.