Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

8 week old puppy is showing signs of parvo: diarrhea and

Customer Question

8 week old puppy is showing signs of parvo: diarrhea and throwing up several times through the night, sleeping more. Pup has not had his series of shots. What is our next step?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: Not at the moment.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. To be honest with you, I would get him to the vet today. Parvo is a very serious disease and not easily treated at home. There is a less than 25% survival rate with at home treatment; even less with more severe symptoms. He should rally be hospitalized on fluids and supportive care. Dehydration and low blood sugare will compound his issues and make them worse. Not to mention that their immune system is severely compromised. At the very least, he needs to be on strong anti-vomiting medications, broad spectrum antibiotics and fluids. It is difficult to get enough oral fluids into them to keep up with hydration, plus they need electrolyte replacement. Intravenous fluids do the best job of fixing that. Pedialyte is about the only thing that can help at home. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your puppy is doing and to see if you have further questions.