Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The Puppy started to vomit yesterday and today and as of

Customer Question

The Puppy started to vomit yesterday and today and as of last night wont eat or drink
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: No I been watching her every step of the way I only got her new years day she was 9 weeks old last sunday
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coco- Noel
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco- Noel?
Customer: I found out that her brother died 2 days ago but the rest are fine also the mother was a stray
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her vomit was clear almost like water, her gums are pink and moist I don't notice anything odd on her belly. All she has eaten since I had her is caned puppyfood the original owner told me she had the pups on puppyfood for only 4 days mostly the dry kind
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

First, we do need to be very careful here. Pups this young are high risk of dehydration and energy loss when vomiting and refusing food/water. So, we need to tread with care for Coco-Noel. Now based on what we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. The same nausea that caused her vomiting will also be to blame for her anorexia. Common causes for these signs are include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis (including Parvo), pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely here).

With this all in mind, we need to be proactive. If she is weak and lethargic at all from this self-starvation, we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into her and hopefully perk her up for us.

After, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once we have her nausea, settled, we'd want to tempt her to eat. Favorites are allowed but you can also try an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk with her refusal to drink, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing with Coco-Noel. Therefore, with how delicate they are at this age we’d want to start supportive now. Though if she cannot keep that, appears dehydrated or weak already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 6-8 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-nausea medication, fluids, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )