How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 26138
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 4 small poodles and my father in law left his hearing

Customer Question

I have 4 small poodles and my father in law left his hearing aid out and one or more of the dogs eat it is there something I should look for befour I freak out
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: No problem yet but I just found one piece of the hearing aid can't find rest of it
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: They don't seem to hurt yet but are there thing I should watch for
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I have 4 there 2 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oreo,cocoa,ginger and gigi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ginger?
Customer: I don't know they seem fine now but I'm not sure what to watch for will they vomit or will it pass through
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

The disc battery in that hearing aid poses the most danger to your dogs. Here's a quick summary of this kind of ingestion:

Toxin
Potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, cadmium, lithium, mercuric oxide, and zinc.

Source
Button-cell Battery

General Information
Ingestion of button-cell batteries can lead to esophageal erosions due to the release of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. Batteries in the stomach can cause gastric erosions and ulceration. These erosions may develop within 12 hours, with the area in contact with the battery suffering the greatest damage.

Toxic Dose
Undetermined

Signs
Lack of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pain, and drooling.

Immediate Action
Seek veterinary attention.

Veterinary Care
General treatment: The button-cell battery may be removed with an endoscope. This allows for an exam of the esophagus and stomach at the same time. Abdominal surgery may need to be performed if endoscopy is unsuccessful at retrieving the battery.

Supportive treatment: Secondary conditions such as erosions or ulcers are treated with medications and dietary changes. The pet is monitored for symptoms of mercury or heavy metal poisoning and treated if necessary.

Specific treatment: Unavailable

Prognosis
Good, if the button-cell battery is removed immediately.

I understand the dilemma of having to X-ray four dogs but that should be considered at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.