Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 2 1/2 year old healthy Maltipoo is suddenly very scared,

My 2 1/2 year old healthy Maltipoo is suddenly very scared, paranoid would describe it better. It first happened about 5 months ago. This odd behavior lasted a couple of days and went away so his vet thought maybe he had eaten something weird and we forgot about it, it just went away.
Our dog is 4 pounds and he is always with us. He comes to our workplace everyday, and everywhere we go, our dog goes. If he is not allowed somewhere, we will go someplace else. He even comes to the movies with us and of course sleeps between us. He is very friendly and very calm. So since he is never left alone, we know his routine and behavior patterns very well. He loves sleeping most of the day!
Yesterday while still in bed he woke up suddenly and started pacing around in bed. I took him down to go potty and eat but kept on with this odd behavior, pacing, panting, hiding from something and trembling.
Today is day two of this paranoid behavior. He sleeps with one eye open. He can lay down next to me, but trembling at times and very jumpy of the slightest thing. Smelling around in the air, looking around for something that is simply not there.
There have been no changes in environment, food or any recent vaccinations or medications.
Is he developing neurological problems? What could be the cause of this?

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Simba. This could be a behavior problem, but it might be a physical problem as well. The behavior specialists always tell us to rule out a physical problem before calling a problem behavioral.

Pacing and panting can be signs of pain. He is young to have pain from things like arthritis, but not for neck or back pain, an inflamed disc or a pinched nerve. Having him checked over and trying some anti inflammatory or pain medication might be a place to start.

If no blood tests were done the last time he did this, I might do blood tests for look for an internal cause, such as a condition called a liver shunt.

This could be neurologic disease, but usually with neuro disease we see tremors, seizures, difficulty walking, impaired reflexes, etc. If blood tests are normal, and pain medication does not help, a consult with a neurologist might be the next step. But start with an exam, blood tests, and possibly pain medication. Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer.

I hope you can see my response; I have not heard from you. Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.

Hi Marilu,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simba. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is doing much better, but still showing symptoms. Thanks so much for your response.I took him to his Vet and they saw nothing wrong with him, his blood tests were all normal and prescribed Xanax for anxiety.
I was not too satisfied with this and went to another Vet who took a different approach. He is a regular Vet, but also a chiropractor and practices Chinese Medicine. He saw his blood work and saw nothing wrong. He checked his spine and found a little misalignment on the C-1. He placed it back in place, gave him acupuncture (had no idea this was performed on dogs) some laser therapy and prescribed some natural medication called "Happy Liver" and some Cannabis Oil.
Next day he only had like a 5min episode in the morning and another one later that night. Was doing perfectly fine. Had another round of acupuncture and laser therapy last week and has another appointment tomorrow, however, he started with the odd behavior again on Saturday sporadicly, Sunday was like that all day, hardly slept last night and is still a little "scared" (to put a word to describe his behavior) today.
Going to Vet again tomorrow as I mentioned before, but I am even more worried now. There has to be a medical explanation for all this, maybe the neurologist and an MRI should be great, so I will make yet another appointment with the specialist.

Thank you for the update, and the great rating. Please let me know how he is doing.