PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 15 year old miniature daschund who has started

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old miniature daschund who has started pooping pink mucous and is losing weight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Minnie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?
Customer: She is eating and drinking okay.
JA: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?
Customer: She is running around typical of an old dog but she just acts like she doesn't feel good,
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

When did she last have a fecal examination performed by your vet? Was anything found?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
My grandkids gave her a bunch of treats last week. We added Purina for seniors to her diet

Chances are that it's the change in her diet causing the pink mucus to be passed. It would be wise to schedule an exam for her and have her vet evaluate her stool for parasites, as well.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. Typically this involves a few days of a bland diet to allow the intestines to heal and then a slow switch back to the dog food she regularly eats. Keep in mind, fast switches are what likely lead to these symptoms so go slow. 7-10 days is normal. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy