Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 13 lb Chwawa that I just got back from an emergency

Customer Question

I have a 13 lb Chwawa that I just got back from an emergency room visit she is full of cancer her lungs are so full of cancer she can't breath on both lung fields. Her respirations are 80 a minute please help me. They didn't send me home with any pain medicine for her because I think they were upset I didn't let them keep her overnight like they wanted her to stay. I just wanted her home with me. Anyway they didn't send her home with anything for pain or her breathing. I have 30mg morphine tablets. What would be a safe dose for her?? Please help me ASAP??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: STELLA and she is 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about STELLA?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Stella's condition...it is so terrible for her!! Morphine is a controlled medication and should NOT be given without the consent of your vet that had examined Stella. It is better to give aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs as long as this can be given with food. This will act as an anti inflammatory medication and help ease Stella's discomfort. Benadryl also can be given at the same time at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to help her through the discomfort.

Prescription medications can be prescribed by your vet that will be stronger.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****