Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Found dog with a piece of a silicon pot holder don't know if

Customer Question

Found dog with a piece of a silicon pot holder don't know if he ate the rest dog is a 40 lb 5 year old border collie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Loki
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loki?
Customer: Nope, he is very active, an agility dog and in good shape
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding Loki. How big was this pot holder and how much is left? How is Loki right now? Do you have any idea when he may have eaten this?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pot holder was a circular probably 5 to 6 inches, probably 80% eaten or disappeared he counter surfed it
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This sort of case does worry me since so often I see dogs such as Loki in my clinic who have accidentally (or otherwise) ingested toys, utensils, bones and other objects and more often than not, these need to be removed via surgery. Hopefully if Loki did manage to swallow some of this pot holder, he managed to chew it up first. The silicon itself is non toxic, it is just a matter of whether this could cause a partial or complete obstruction as it passes through his GI tract.

He is likely completely fine right now, but for tonight, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

There are a few things that could happen from here including a partial chronic obstruction, a full complete obstruction or even something like an intusucception where the bowel telescopes in on itself. If your boy doesn't defecate in the next 2 - 3 days, it may be worth having your Vet take a couple of abdominal xrays (plain and contrast ones to help highlight a foreign body). If it seems as though there is something stuck in his gut, the next step will be an exploratory laparotomy (opening up his abdomen) to be able to get the foreign material out.

There is every chance here that if Loki did swallow some of this pot holder, that he managed to chew it in to little pieces before swallowing it! All the same - it is wise to keep an eye on his defecation over the next few days, and to get him seen if he is vomiting, lethargic, off food or constipated. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hopefully all of Loki's parameters were normal? Let me know if you have any further questions?

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Loki overnight? Did his symptoms settle, or did you get him seen by your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment,

Dr E