Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She can't use her back legs for support. she tries to push

Customer Question

she can't use her back legs for support. she tries to push up with her front legs, but her back legs are of no use. i bought her a wheelchair and she can use it in short stretches, but i'm gone 14 hours a day and my pregnant wife can't lift her. Everyone thinks that she's sad and miserable and I should put her down. She still eats and drinks regularly. She still goes to the bathroom regularly, too. The problem is sometimes she can't hold it and because her back legs won't work, I come home to find her in her pee. I love her. She's my best friend. I only want to do what's right, but I don't know what that is. I don't want her to go. Other than the legs, she's the same girl.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no. there's not. It seems neurological.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leia. She'll be 17 in February.
JA: How old is Leia?
Customer: she'll be 17 in february
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leia?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 21 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. End of life decisions are one of the most difficult to make. Your bond with Leia is apparent and I know that you want what is best for her. If she is eating, drinking, and otherwise comfortable, then you are right not to give into pressure to euthanize her. I believe that you will know when it is time. Trust your heart.

Is it a possibility for you to have a pet sitter come in mid day to put her in her wheelchair and take her out. That way there is no pressure on your wife and you are able to work without feeling guilty. Many veterinary hospitals have a technician or two that does house calls for hospice care. In my area, there are full time animal care providers. What Leia needs is hospice care to make her remaining time more comfortable. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Take care.