Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a 10 year old Beagle. He had kidney stones about 4

Customer Question

We have a 10 year old Beagle. He had kidney stones about 4 years ago. After his surgery he was put on CD dog food. We also moved around this time. Since then, both change in diet and environment he has had bad skin allergies and a huge increase in ear wax. He was tested for red mange and determined that was not the problem. We have been to several vets and they all agree it is allergy, fungus, or yeast. He has elephant skin on his tummy and a little thickening of his skin. He is currently on 2 medications, apoquel and ketoconazole. The Vet just mentioned that it could be a food allergy to the CD dog food. but doesn't feel he should go off it. Is there no other way to control the kidney stones other than the CD food?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Buster
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: He had never had problems with his ears until this all started. We also use Ketoconazole in his ears. They are usually not infected... but wax is very bad. I just asked our vet if they should be flushed out... he said no they were not that bad just to keep up cleaning them.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrBridget replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am reviewing your question to formulate an answer. Do you mind answering a few more questions so I can get a better history on Buster?

Poor Buster it sound like that he has had a lot of problems but it seems that you are doing a great job following up on them. Could you please tell me if Buster has had any skin tests such as fungal or bacterial cultures? Also is he currently on any flea control?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.