Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I gave her calmivet per vet instructions and the effects

Customer Question

i gave her calmivet per vet instructions and the effects seem to be lasting a little bit long
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she just seems very groggy. She weighs about 5 kg. I gave her the pill around 1pm... and now at 12:35 am, she still seems very sleepy.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: keelie. 7 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about keelie?
Customer: she had her teeth cleaned about 3 days ago. She had to have one tooth removed. She was prescribed cilmagex for pain. She is traveling on friday and I wanted to try the calmivet before we left... she had a bad reaction to alprazolam where she just looked crazy and hyperactive
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 19 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Which milligram strength did you administer to Keelie, please? Calmivet contains acepromazine and when given orally is usually dosed in the range of 0.55 - 2.2 mg/kg although some think that dosages at the higher end of this range are too high.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The acepromazine dosage is 12.5 mg

Thank you. 12.5 mg/5 kg = 2.5 mg/kg which is above the highest recommended dose. Keelie will remain safe but likely sedated for over 24 hours. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Could the calmivet be interacting negatively with the cilmagex?

There is no known drug reaction between acepromazine and the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) cimicoxib (Cilmagex). Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?