Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

10year old lab/bloodhound mix .in last 6 mos has started

Customer Question

10year old lab/bloodhound mix .in last 6 mos has started exposing the pink part of his penis and then sits and unable to stand up. Lasts only a few minutes and penis does retrace. I just had his vet do digital X-ray of back and rears hips and full blood tests and nothing found. Thought prostrate but all seems fine. Has all shots, gets vet visit every 6 mos..any additional tests that should be done?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Beau
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beau?
Customer: Approx 10 months ago he had a small lump in his groin/rear leg area. Removed and tested and benign..I even asked vet if that surgery could have caused problem but she stated was a surface lump and no muscles involved. Otherwise good appetite, friendly, drinking water and we walk twice daily but when too warm just short walks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. This really sounds more like it could be more of a neurologic problem than an orthopedic problem. There could be some type of problem with the spinal cord. You will never see this on an x-ray. A CT scan or MRI is usually necessary for this. A neuromuscular disease called myasthenia gravis is possible. It can cause intermittent muscular weakness (usually more after exercise), but you usually do not see the penis retraction issue. You more often see problems with regurgitation from esophageal weakness. A spinal cord issue can include compression (a disk or tumor) or a degenerative issue. I would ask your vet if they think this may be a spinal cord or other neurologic based on what they have seen and if a referral to a veterinary neurologist may be a good idea. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Beau is doing and to see if you have further questions.