Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I bought a mini daschund puppy yesterday ad this morning she

Customer Question

I bought a mini daschund puppy yesterday ad this morning she woke up and it looks like 3 small fluid filled bumps have come up on top of her head?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've wiped them with peroxide and put antibiotic crream in them
What is wrong with my puppy.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of these bumps to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I've uploaded a picture

Thank you! Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The pic is out of focus but it appears that those bumps are quite large. Has the one most caudal (toward her tail) opened up? If so, did it contain pus or a clear fluid? I suspect that Josie is breaking with juvenile cellulitis (juvenile pyoderma, puppy strangles) - a skin disease with highest incidence in doxis. The areas around her eyes also suggest that skin disease.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it looks like it is draining a clear liquid. Is there a cure for this
Is it fatal?

Thank you. The prognosis is good if response to therapy is seen within 4-5 days. In severe cases, even with treatment, permanent scarring may be a sequela. Death may occur in puppies if the disease isn't treated.

Any secondary bacterial infection needs to be treated with a systemic antibiotic. Prednisone administered daily until lesions resolve (~1-4 weeks) and then tapered completely over the next few weeks is the hallmark of therapy. Please have Josie attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Feel free to share our conversation with the vet who may not be familiar with juvenile cellulitis in doxis.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Brandy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Josie. How is everything going?