Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I just rescued a 4yr old chocolate lab, male. He was rescued

Customer Question

Hi there! I just rescued a 4yr old chocolate lab, male. He was rescued in sept from a shelter in ga, came to nj underweight. Was adopted in sept and then surrendered a week ago bc he's 'too active'.
I had to get him out of the shelter and he is doing great. However , he is underweight. Previous owner did not know why and said he was even thinner when he got him.
He eats as many times as you feed him. He's very active, seems healthy.
I'd like to know how to safely feed him for weight gain.
Right now I'm giving him Costco brand dry food for adult dogs. About a cup Or a little more at a time, 3-4x a day.
Not sure exactly how much he needs.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How are his stools?

Has he had a recently fecal analysis performed?

Did they perform any diagnostics on him in GA or NJ shelters? Blood work? Fecal profile?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All his tests that are in his paperwork showed normal. I did not see his fecal profile unless it would be named something that I didn't understand. I can scan his paperwork and attach for you. Will that work?

​Yes, please.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.