Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We feed our dog three (3) times a day but he doesn't always

Customer Question

We feed our dog three (3) times a day but he doesn't always eat as he is supposed to. This morning, he vomitted up yellow foam which I've researched to be bile from an empty stomach. We tried to feed him again and he refused. What can we do to help him eat? I hate that this happens to him as this is not the first time. My concern is that there are no real soultions for this online or from my vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, nothing unusual. He eats his kibble and because he has copraphagia we give him boiled chicken, carrots and broccoli to supplement
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no, he is a healthy puppy ok thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he isn't keen on three meals a day, then try just offering 2 larger ones. That way we can give him time to be in the mood to eat for us. As well, if he is prone to vomiting in the morning that can be a sign of bile reflux. To counter that, we often find offering bedtime snacks or offering food earlier in the morning can counter that.

That said, if he has vomiting this morning and now refusing to eat that tells us that he is still nauseous here. To counter that you can try him on an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, your lad's signs do sound suspicious of a bile reflux. It is a benign condition we see in many dogs and usually we can manage them with the above. So, those would be our point of action for his current nausea but also something we can use for the longer term to reduce his vomiting from that bile irritation.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.