Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog just had puppies one week ago and wont eat she also

Customer Question

My dog just had puppies one week ago and wont eat she also has dhiarea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long has this been going on for?

How many puppies did she have?

What food do you have her on?

Any vomiting?

Has she seemed to loose a lot of weight?

Any recent changes in diet, new treats, given human food, swallowed anything or gotten into the trash?

If you press into her abdomen from both sides, is she painful or uncomfortable?

Any odd discharge from her vulva?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2-3 days
4 pups 2 of them did not make it
Dry food , similac puppy milk and chicken I made special chicken soup
No vomating
Lost some weight
Normal food always given
No abdominal pain
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Discharge from valva which I thought was normal as she just had her pups
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the information. There could be a few things to be concerned about. My initial thoughts would be a uterine infection (metritis) or an electrolyte imbalance, especially with calcium. Those tend to be the most common causes of anorexia after giving birth. Discharge from the vulva can be normal a few days to a week after giving birth, but it is possible that it could be due to something more serious as well, especially if it seems bloody still or if it looks like there is pus. If those are the cases, then I would have her seen by vet immediately. Starting on puppy food 2 weeks before they are due and until they are done nursing is the recommended course of action to make sure they get the proper nutrition they need for supporting the puppies. Given that it has been going on for 2-3 days, my best advice is to get her to a vet today because her condition can deteriorate faster because of the stress on her system. If that is not an option, I would try to get some canned puppy food to see if you can entice her to eat that. You can even try a small bowl of whole cow's milk, which will have more calcium. Sometimes it can give dog's diarrhea, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do I do to supplement her calcium besides the milk which I think cause the dhiarhea
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

You can try a multivitamin for dogs or vanilla ice cream (would most likely cause similar problems to milk). Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.
Hi Lily,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see how Daisy is doing and to see if you have any other questions.