Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My miniature schnauzer is vomiting, not alot but about four

Customer Question

My miniature schnauzer is vomiting, not alot but about four times yesterday and has loose stool, what can I give her at home. She is drinking, not eating much and acts fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your miniature schnauzer eat anything unusual?
Customer: I did give her a few bites of lamb steak, which I usually do not feed from the table, her stomach is make girggling noise and she acts as if she is burping
JA: What is the miniature schnauzer's name and age?
Customer: Marley is her name and she is four years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about name?
Customer: No, she is a very healthy girl, she did just come out of her heat cycle.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The first view times was the food she had eaten, now it is just foamy and sticky. She is drinking water but not eating. Her gums are pink and moist, her nose is wet. She tenses up when I press on her tummy. She has not eaten any of the above but I did feed her night before last a few bites of lamb steak.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Marley isn't likely to have eaten anything harmful but if she had steak before and now has all these signs plus some stomach tensing, this makes issues like severe gastritis and pancreatitis suspect here. Of course, we could also see this with gut infections, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, since Marley can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach and get her eating. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. They will also be of aid against pancreatitis. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC canine probiotics (ie Fortiflora) can also be added to these to firm her stools quicker and support her digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk with Marley's upper and lower GI signs, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since she hasn't any blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but with her signs and her breed I'd be particularly concerned about pancreatitis besides those other differntials. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her if we can. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, and confirm our concerns Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, gut safe pain relief if needed, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )