Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog suffers from severe arthritis and a past knee injury

Customer Question

My dog suffers from severe arthritis and a past knee injury and has trouble walking. My holistic vet told me to stretch both legs daily. I don't really do it but today I did and apparently over did it because my dog seems to be in pain because he won't stop crying. He's already on Rimadyl, is there anything else I can do for the pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am sorry to hear that your lad has such severe arthritis.

Further to what your vets are using to treat this, there are some other options you can also use to ease his signs. First, if he is very painful, you can have your vet try an alternative anti-inflammatory (ie Metcam, Onsior, Previcox) to see if they are more effective for him (since response can vary by individual). As well, Tramadol and Gabapentin can be added to any of these to better manage pain with this condition.

Otherwise, we'd also want to consider adding in an OTC joint support like glucosamine/chondroitin. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad. As well, you can use Duralactin (LINK) which is very good for sore joints and has these components in some of their formulations as well.

Finally, stretching is good to help maintain mobility, but when you do this consider warm compressing those stiff and sore joints. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required). This can just help relax and reduce inflammation in sore muscles and joints to help ease his signs too.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.