Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My rottweiler female 1 year has drastically changed

Customer Question

My rottweiler female 1 year has drastically changed bsgaviour in the last hour she doesn't want to open her mouth sluggish
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mayleigh
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mayleigh?
Customer: Shecwas treated for parvo 6 months ago and beat it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Mayleigh . I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am waiting please hurry
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl Mayleigh this evening to cause her changed behavior and unwillingness to open her mouth and we need to consider anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to an internal organ issue or even a foreign body obstruction. Given her behavior in not wanting to open her mouth, we even have to consider a foreign body in her mouth or throat, or a dental issue, or mouth injury. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this behavior continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. Likewise, if Mayleigh seems at all painful right now, you really are best to get her seen straight away.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth. Hopefully she is happy to open her mouth enough to drink - if not, you are best to get her seen now.

Give her symptoms, over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Mayleigh's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Mayleigh and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Mayleigh overnight? How is she doing today? Did she improve at home, or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E