Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our yellow lab is on phenobarbitol for seizures. He has not

Customer Question

Our yellow lab is on phenobarbitol for seizures. He has not had one for a year until tonight. He had his pill this evening, but should we give him another after this episode?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sport age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sport?
Customer: He is seen regularly by our vet. He has been perfectly normal today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with your about Sport. Now it is important to know that his medication aims to reduce seizures but cannot always prevent them. So if he has had a one-off despite his medication, it is not a major worry and we would not want to change his dose or give more Phenobarbital (in fact, it takes a week for the drug levels to change in the blood, so that is why its used as a daily treatment and not to control a seizure as it happens). Instead, we'd just monitor. But if we see another seizure in the next few days, then we'd want to have his vet reassess him, check his blood Phenobarbital levels, and dispense Valium (which is better for treating seizures as they are happening). But again we'd not give any more of the Phenobarbital on this occasion.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.