Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4 year old Chi- is peeing frequently but not a lot. I

Customer Question

My 4 year old Chi-Weenie is peeing frequently but not a lot. I found a small clot of blood on her pee pad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog, shes a mix breed. Chihuahua and Dachshund mix.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is almost 4 years old. She has allergies and takes Zyrtec once a day.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

1- So she is peeing more frequently but smaller volume, correct?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1- Yes
2- I noticed the more frequent like 6 days ago. But she was also drinking more water so I thought it was the reason.
3- No pre existing conditions
4- No other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

The history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to the vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones. The blood is secondary to inflammation or bladder stones.

In this case, unfortunately, we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and urinalysis as an initial screening test. In addition, they will start her on oral antibiotics. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter