Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog 11 years old threw up undigested food and three times

Customer Question

My dog 11 years old threw up undigested food and three times yesterday. Three times it was all brown liguid. His food is brown. He had one dose of deramax for limp and one half Pepcid ac. He has tolerated both drugs previously. Today he has had water only and one dose of Pepcid one half tablet. He weighs 17 lbs. Vet office closed. No stomach distention and acting normal. I want to try small amount of white rice. He has Infkammatory bowel and only eats duck. Can he has another Pepcid dose? I hear bowel noisy sounds. Bowel movement is normal. Any help
Will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear your dog has had some vomiting. You did the right thing in discontinuing food at this point and pepcid can be continued every 12 hours. I will give you further guidelines below for beginning feeding. I have had patients that vomit on an nsaid even if they have previously had no issues with it and suspect it has caused the stomach upset...

-Offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I will be signing off in a few moments but will check in tomorrow if you respond in any way

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Adrea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coton De Tulear. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman