jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I have a 4 yr old Shih tzu that we got from the humane

Customer Question

I have a 4 yr old Shih tzu that we got from the humane society about 1 1/2 yrs ago! She scratched and chewed and smelled when we got her her! We tried everything trying to get her to stop and finally changing her dog food did the trick! This worked for about 6-8 months, but she is back doing it worst than ever! She obviously has an ear infection that I just noticed! When we got her from the humane society she had a large bladder stone that had to be surgically removed! We have tried everything we know of to get the itching to stop! Any suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog food's name?
Customer: Purina pro plan plus sensitive skin and stomach
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog food?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Has the formula for her dog food changed?

Did you add any new treats or did someone feed her something not approved over the holidays?

Is there an odor to her skin?

Any diarrhea?

What have you tried this time?

Is this the first time she has had problems since the time when you first got her?

how long has she been itch free basically before this?

how long has it been going on this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing has changed! She was itch free (8 months?)up until about two months ago and it just seems to be getting worst! We bathe her with multiple different shampoos, currently using an antibacterial shampoo that has helped, we have wormed her, trimmed her hair short! Taking to vet on Thursday

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

Most dogs that are found to be allergic to one thing are often allergic to more than one. Some are allergic to environmental things like dust in the heating system, pollens in the air, molds as well as certain foods. the only way to determine for sure what your dog is allergic to is allergy testing. There are a few types of testing available. One is blood testing and the other is skin sensitivity testing. Once the allergens are identified they can be avoided. If they can not be avoided, desensitization shots can be give. Read more on allergy testing and the shots below.

http://www.varlallergy.com/index.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=504

Desensitization shots can be read about here:

http://www.vetrespit.com/why-respit.html

it may even be that the improvement with the food was coincidental and it was actually related to your heating system or another substance or as I mention there is more than one allergen.

Now there is also yeast and staph dermaititis. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

I wished I could tell you exactly what caused the itch to return but that would just be guessing. I mention the heating system as often we find dust has accumulated in the vents and the heat moves that up into the air.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.