Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

It started lastTuesday with extreme vomiting and being

Customer Question

it started lastTuesday with extreme vomiting and being listless. I took her to the vet she basically has no platletts, low RBD and high WBC
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: They put her on 120mg of prednisone daily and zantac..it helped the first day but now every day she is getting worse. This morning she struggled to get up to go outside and has vomited a large amount of thick clear foamy with yellow flecks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am just wondering if I can give her some dramamine
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Meclizine is good for dogs that have vestibular issues or get sick in the car when traveling, but it not going to be very helpful with your dog's nausea I suspect. It sound like she has Evan's Syndrome (immune mediated thrombocytopenia and immune mediated hemolytic anemia). The weakness and subsequent nausea are likely due to a very low red blood cell count. Do you know what her last hematocrit was and when was it taken?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was just below normal..bilirubin etc 12/29/16 were all normal..calcium etc..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is prognosis?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
99 pounds

You said 120 mg of prednisone daily. Is that divided into 60 mg every 12 hours? Were the platelets also just below normal, or were they extremely low? How old is she and were there any other diagnostics performed (x rays, ultrasound, urinalysis)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
twice daily..very low like she said none!! She is a 10 year old German Shepherd..no x rays, ultrasound, or UA

Okay. Thank you. So she either has immune mediated thrombocytopenia (immune system destroying her platelets) or she unfortunately may have cancer. In German shepherds we see a higher incidence of hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the vasculature). This can cause mild to severe bleeding. From what you are describing today, it seems that she is acutely very weak. Please look at her gums for me. Are they pink or very pale? Does her stomach appear to be distended at all?

Hi this is Dr. Hill again. I just wanted to make sure that you take her to your local veterinarian tomorrow so that they can recheck her hematocrit. My concern is that she had a significant bleed. If you have a local emergency clinic, then it would be very reasonable to take her in tonight for a quick check, if she is not doing better. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill