Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He vomited 2x over nigiht & is dehydrated. He had a bout of

Customer Question

He vomited 2x over nigiht & is dehydrated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had a bout of thlis about a week ago. NO, he doesn't do that. It just looked like dog food.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Smokey & about 12. KHe's on Rimadyl, phenobarbitol, & tramado
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about about?
Customer: He had a tumor removed in April. It wasn't tested.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does his vomit look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any black stool or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His vomit was yellowish, lumps like hydrated dry dog food. Mostly not lumps.I trlied to get hlim to drink cherry Pedlialyte. He woudn't have anything to do with that. I've not tried water.
His gums may be pale, not really moist but I'm not sure I'd call them sticky. The scruff of his neck isn't springing back when pinched. He had to get IV fluids last time.
His belly seems fine...no response to pressing.
He never eats anything unusual. We don't have anything new he could get into..
Yesterday his stool was fine....mayabe a little less shape.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, if his gums are paler then usual, we do need to tread with care. Paling of the gums can be a sign of internal bleeding, circulation compromise, and anemia. And if he is on Rimadyl, there is always risk of stomach irritation and even ulcers as a side effect of this drug. So, we do need to hold off on that drug until he is settled and monitor for any further paling here. Otherwise, further to the side effects of that drug, his signs also raise concerns of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely for Smokey).

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. And we'd use this every 12 hours. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk if his gums are not moist like your own and the skin is tenting, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken either. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Smokey. His medication could cause what we are seeing (or make his stomach more sensitive) but we do have those other concerns too. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you just get my premature response? It seemed like it got sent before Iwas ready.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Your reply ended with a description of the stools and I sent a reply, have you received that (else I can repost)?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did receive that. I'll retype my response. I plugged in a real keyboard into my laptop.
We'll try the otc. Should we hold off on his phenobarbitol until he keeps water down. Two weeks ago when he did this he kept a prescribed anti-nausea down but they gave him IV for dehydration. After his tumor removal we gave his subcutaneous fluids at home. Can you get those without anRx? Should we worry about that yet? He just urinated a little...it was darker color.
Should we just keep trying water or try unflavored pedialyte?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took his temp rectally. It's 102.6.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only reply we got from you was several paragraphs. Did you mean you sent something else?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried again to get him to drink water or pedialyte. He wouldn't go for either one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, my wife, who started this conversat6ion, just left for the store to get some Pepcid or Xantac, per your original reply. (Still not sure if you have sent any other reply.) Smokey just went outside and had a bowel movement. It was a little softer than usual, but not watery, and kept its shape on the ground. (Sure glad we plugged in this good keyboard.)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Apologies, my dear.

I was called away to an emergency.

In regards ***** ***** further questions, unflavored Pedialyte is always preferred since dogs don't tend to drink fruit flavors. But settle the nausea first before pushing any fluids. And we'd want to delay the Phenobarb while we try to settle his stomach but then get it on aboard as soon as we can. For fluids, your vet can dispense those as they are not prescription but it is at their discretion (though if you have given it before, I would expect that to be fine) and whether they feel he is hydrated enough to use that route as opposed to IV (for more severe dehydration). And if we do use the light diet, that will help with those stools as well.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )