Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She ate a queen palm seed, like a small marble, it's not

Customer Question

She ate a queen palm seed, like a small marble, it's not sharp nor toxic, but she is only 7 weeks and will be 8 weeks tommorow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Yes it was a queen palm seed
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She has a small hyrnea Checked by vet already and he said it was small
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

As you likely know, native to Brazil, queen palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) produce bright-green, glossy, arching 10- to 15-feet-long leaves with decorative fleshy orange fruit that drop when ripe. While the queen palm fruit may cause stomach upset in dogs if ingested, according to the ASPCA, the fruit is not poisonous to dogs. However, the foxtail palm (Wodyetia bifurcata) and the sago palm (Cycas revoluta) both bear orange to red fruit -- resembling that of the queen palm -- that is poisonous to dogs.

I would advise taking a few precautions for the next few days to minimize gi upset

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there develops any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am online another 30 minutes tonight

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am online another 10 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your little one to see if she had any issues after your question last night? I would love an update when you are able