Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 6 year old rescued female, spayed golden retriever

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old rescued female, spayed golden retriever that literally eats anything she can get in her mouth. She is healthy have had to the vet multiple times and lab work is okay. What could be the problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She eats anything she can get in her mouth
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to be in any pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Emma
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Emma?
Customer: She is a rescue, she is spayed, up to date on shots. Weight is 100lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

Most Golden's will pick things up to carry them in their mouths, but that can then lead to chewing it up. Because she is a rescue that may lead to some anxiety which leads to chewing/eating

What type of toys does she have?

How often do you train her in obedience?

What commands does she know?

What do you do when she has something she should not?