Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a one year old rat terrier/chihuaua mix. I aquired

Customer Question

Hello I have a one year old rat terrier/chihuaua mix. I aquired her when her family moved and left her. Long story short she is pregnant and acting all kinds of crazy. I think she may be ready to whelp but not sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rat terrier?
Customer: not that i can rhink of. ive only had her for a couple of months.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for taking this dog in when she was abandoned. Do you know how long she has been pregnant? Can you take her temperature with a rectal thermometer? If she is going to whelp soon, her temp will be 100 or lower (normal is 101 to 102).

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Is she eating? If you look at her gums, are they pink in color?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She will not come out from under the bed, except for one time when she went outside. I broke up a nudges treat and fed it to her under the bed, by hand. She would not take water. She had a small amount of discharge on Thurs. morning but that stopped. She is extremely lethargic and just wants to sleep. We cannot afford to get her medical care if we don't have to. I have had many dogs but I spay/nueter like crazy so I have never done this before.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Hiding may be a sign she is going to have her puppies soon. I am worried about her having a discharge, and being lethargic. She is a small dog, and more likely could have problems whelping. If she continues to hide, not eat, and act lethargic she should be checked out to be sure she is not in trouble with the pregnancy. Any way of knowing how long she has been pregnant?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but I can't make calls for the website; I can only answer questions here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. Like I said the discharge is long gone. I have been checking her fairly often. I have seen what looks like contraction in her belly. She is huge, we think right at eight weeks.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I understand she does not have the discharge now, but the fact that she had one concerns me.

If she is having contractions, she should have a puppy within 30 to 40 minutes. More than that is a sign she is in trouble, and may need medical assistance. She may only need some injections to strengthen her contractions, but if she goes more than 40 minutes after contractions have started without having a puppy, her contractions may weaken and not be able to push out the puppies on her own.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. She is not having contractions now. It looked like one to my eye and she was quivering a little. It could have been a puppy moving. If so it was a big move. She doesn't seem in pain.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope she delivers the puppies soon, without difficulty. If she is 8 weeks pregnant, she has another week to go. Do you know if the male dog that got her pregnant was larger than she is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was a small dog, maybe a dachsund mix. About the same size. Both narrow headed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Good he is the same size.

If she really is only 8 weeks pregnant, and is not having contractions, it may be too soon for the puppies. If her gums are pink, if her rectal temperature is over 100 but under 102, and if she will eat something then this is not an emergency. If she won't eat, if her gums are pale, if she has a fever or a temp below 100, she may be in need of medical attention.

I wish I could tell you more than that, but since I can't see and examine her, I can't be sure. I am always worried when a near full term pregnant dog won't eat and is hiding.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is she today? Please let me know how she is, and if my answer was helpful.