Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

His penis stays sticking out, freddie,and he is two, no

Customer Question

his penis stays sticking out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: freddie,and he is two
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about freddie,?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I’m sorry to hear of this with Freddie. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The possible causes of paraphimosis include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice in my practices. Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).

Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by Freddie's vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.