Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Can I worm her when she is very close to whelping, Her name

Customer Question

Can I worm her when she is very close to whelping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** but just picked her up and brought her home. I think she is between 3 and 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: She is part pit bull and something else...very mild mannered...has only 3 legs.. her right front has been surgically removed
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

There actually are several safe wormers to treat the most common internal parasites which dogs might contract and which can be given to pregnant females or even after they've delivered their puppies:

1. Pyrantal Paomate which goes under different brand names such as Strongid, Nemix or Evict. This is a very safe and effective wormer for round worms and hook worms. The dosage amount will be indicated on the label based on the body weight of the dog.

This product is available at just about any pet/grain store or can be purchased online.

I dose every two weeks for three doses or it can be given weekly.

2. Fenbendazole (aka Panacur) which may be available online without a prescription (I've seen it both ways on different websites). It's effective against round worms, whipworms, hookworms and some species of Giardia.

It's given three days in a row.

I hope this helps. Deb