Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Small mixed dog. Skin irratation, Cedar. 3, Real strong

Customer Question

small mixed dog . Skin irratation
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cedar . 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cedar?
Customer: Real strong smell . Red Skin inside of back legs.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Have not seen any .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you all today and that Cedar has this skin irritation

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms. Especially with the strong odor which likely indicates infection

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch/ chewing. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily to control the itch and reduced redness with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness and redness in some dogs
- New chewing nor licking so using a sock, t-shirt, or cone to prevent these which can cause further irritation to the area

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!