Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She was diagnosed with diabetes and is in hospital being

Customer Question

she was diagnosed with diabetes and is in hospital being treated for a high level. the problem is her hind legs have given out, why. Maria
JA: I'm sorry that Maria is feeling poorly. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound. She can't stand because her back legs are weak. She might have IVDD. I informed the vet, and he has given her anti-inflammatory med, but she still won't stand on all fours. Is the fact that she is still going through insulin drip that she is too weak to stand on all four legs.
JA: How old is Maria?
Customer: my dog, piper is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maria?
Customer: Our vet took blood and sent it in and that is how we found out she was diabetic
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry that Piper is experiencing diabetes and hospitalization and that no one has assisted you yet today.

The veterinary clinic should be able to differentiate between diabetic neuropathy versus disc neuropathy and if not then refer to a neurologist. In some cases depending on the severity of the diabetes you should be able to see an improvement in symptoms with treatment of diabetes as the glucose levels are treated

But a full neurologic exam should be able to differentiate between the two. In some cases an mri is needed to diagnose ivdd definitively and maybe recommended once Piper is more stable with the diabetes

I am online most of the evening if you are able to open the chat and have additional questions. You both are in my thoughts this weekend

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!