Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She licked up some transmission fluid off the floor, maybe

Customer Question

She licked up some transmission fluid off the floor, maybe 1/4 teaspoon..she is a Matillion, 7-8 poinds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jemma, 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about jemma?
Customer: No, she is otherwise healthy
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The light petroleum distillates such as transmission fluid are rapidly absorbed into the body and so inducing emesis isn't indicated and can be contraindicated due to the possibility of aspiration pneumonia. Thankfully, 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) is a very small amount of such a distillate and isn't expected to cause anything more than transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. There's no specific antidote but we do attempt to dilute however much was ingested by encouraging the intake of tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, or bouillons.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.