petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have an 8 year old doxie. I've been back and forth with

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old doxie. I've been back and forth with the vet for almost two months now. He's been vomiting yellow, brow and orange mucus/foam and diarrhea. An ultrasound showed a bacterial infection, which he was given antibiotics 4 times and an anti diarrhea medication along with gas x and pepcid. The ultrasound showed the lining in his esophagus and stomach too be very thick with mucus. They suggested a scope to rule out stomach cancer. He went from 17 lbs in July to under 11. He is extremely picky with food and turns away a majority of the time. Last night he vomited 13 times a thick mucus, equivalent to slime, with semi soft stool. Upon falling asleep, he had water, then came back into bed and vomited shortly after. His vomit had changed to look like strings of chicken, which I assume was partially digested food, and had a horrendous sour smell to it. The scope is $2,000, to which I don't have the money for. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Tiesto today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It sounds as if he has had quite a workup already. With the type of symptoms that you are describing, I think it is very likely you will not be able to get to a diagnosis or possibly help him without the information gathered with an endoscopic exam and biopsies of the upper GI tract. His severe weight loss is very concerning and there may be significant disease present, but the GI tract is difficult to visualize, even with advanced imaging such as ultrasound. The only way to get an accurate picture is with a scope. I understand it is costly, but perhaps there are ways to get help in paying for it. Here are some links that may be helpful.

Care credit (veterinary): http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Financial aid for vet care:

http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z