Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Frankie is a Australian Shepherd mix, he's 9 years old. He

Customer Question

Frankie is a Australian Shepherd mix, he's 9 years old. He hasn't eaten since Thursday night. He's having some Dia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Frankie. He's moving really slow. Not
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frankie?
Customer: That's all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

What does his diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No drooling. Gums are a little sticky and pink. Stool is mostly watery. He had some left over ham from Christmas as a treat. Normally doesn't have people food.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if his gums are a bit sticky, this does suggest that this diarrhea is starting to dehydrate him, so we need to tread with care. Now if he did have ham (which can be quite salty), this could be upsetting his gut but as it is also quite fatty this could be a pancreatitis we have here. Of course,we can also see appetite loss (usually nausea induced, even without vomiting) and diarrhea related to gut infections and general dietary indiscretions. As well, at his age we can also see this with organ issues (ie kidney, liver), metabolic issues and cancer but hopefully those aren't the case for Frankie.

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, we can try to counter the nausea causing anorexia with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to tempt with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset, help with pancreatitis and also reduce diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be used to firm the stools quicker and support the gut.

Furthermore, since it is so watery, you can use an OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Or Kaolin/probiotic pastes like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option we could use.

Finally, since you noted Frankie's gums are getting sticky, we'd want to check for other signs of dehydration. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing for your lad. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach.If the ham has just upset the gut, this may be all we need. But if he appears dehydrated already or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, start injectable anti-nausea medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much. I'll see if I can get him hydrated. Hurts to see him like this.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Please do and hopefully with the above we can get him feeling better and eating for us.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.