Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am embarrassed that this even happened but my 4 month old

Customer Question

Hello! I am embarrassed that this even happened but my 4 month old puppy got a hold of my purse off of my dining room table. I am prescribed to klonopin as needed and I saw the pills laying all over the floor. There wasn't an overwhelmingly amount that I had on me, however, I have no idea how much of them she ingested. This just happened as well. She is a 4 month old husky and weighs approximately 25 pounds. I'm very nervous :-(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Maya
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: she's up to date on her shots, not spayed yet...she has to wait another 2 months or so. Other than that shes very healthy and happy. wonderful! Thank you so very much!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she get into this?

What milligrams are the tablets?

How many would you estimate she had (worst case scenario so we can assess her risk)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This all just happened. I was laying in bed and heard her into something (she usually just lays with me), so probably about 10 minutes ago. I would say she ate about 3 or 4, if she even ate any, but I should have counted how many I had left. They are .5 mg tablets. Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now this is a drug we use in dogs, but the top dose for her weight would be one tablet. Therefore, to avoid adverse effects (sedation, lethargy, collapse, changes to breathing rate, etc), we can be proactive and get these tablets back up just now. To do so, you can induce vomiting. To do so, at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, more than one tablet could cause problems for Maya. So, we want to act fast with the above or if you struggle at all have her local vet do the above just now to avoid any risk. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.