Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Salkin, My Katie was at the vet's today for a possible UTI.

Hi Dr. Salkin,
My Katie was at the vet's today for a possible UTI. The vet extracted urine using Cystocentesis.
Her samples showed no traces of blood before (dipstick test at home) and no blood from the urine taken during the procedure.
She has voided twice since the vet visit, this last urine I collected and tested with dipstick and it is showing a small amount of hemolyzed blood.
I really dont understand the difference between hemolyzed and non-hemolyzed blood, but could this sudden appearance of blood be from the Cystocentesis?
So-called "old blood" from the procedure- even though she had voided before and all the urine should have emptied from her bladder from that time? Or is this fresh blood, you think and something is wrong?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry , I dont know how this ended up in the dog veterinary category, Katie is a feline.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Sorry for the delay, Michele. Yes, the most likely source of that hemolyzed blood is bleeding that occurred at the cystocentesis site of her bladder wall. It's not unusual and invariably stops quickly. The Dipstix is very sensitive in detecting hemoglobin released by broken red blood cells ("hemolyzed" blood as can occur when red blood cells are in urine for any length of time) and to a lesser extent, intact red blood cells.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.