Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think my dogs got a hold of a block of dcon rat poison

Customer Question

i think my dogs got a hold of a block of dcon rat poison dont no what to do dont have funds to bring to the vet at the moment how much would they have to consume to be in trouble
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The LD50 of brodifacoum - the anticoagulant rodenticide in d-CON - is as low as 1.8 ounces in a 22 lb dog. The LD50 is the amount that can kill 50% of test subjects. If you think they could have ingested more than that within the last 2 hours you should induce emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight (maximum dose of 45 mL) (3 measuring tablespoons) with a small poultry baster placed between their cheek teeth and cheek. They should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i gave them that an they didnt vomit yet i was at work an came home an found the crumbs so dont no how long ago they ate it

You can repeat the dose if they haven't vomited in 15 minutes. It's worth the effort. If it's too late for vomiting to be effective, you should wait 2 days to have their bleeding times checked to see if they ingested enough of the d-CON to cause uncontrolled bleeding from any orifice or an increased respiratory rate which indicates bleeding into the chest cavity. This can arise 1-4 days after ingestion.